Menu

The Air Purifier

header photo

Carbon Monoxide

3 Safety Tips for Carbon Monoxide

By The Air Purifier

An invisible gas that can kill, carbon monoxide is responsible for thousands of hospital visits and hundreds of deaths each year. In addition to being undetectable by the naked eye, this gas is odorless and tasteless. It builds up inside of your home or business without you being aware of it, putting your life at risk. Use the following safety tips to protect yourself against the dangers of carbon monoxide.

1. Use Carbon Monoxide Detectors

The first and most important way to protect your family against this deadly gas is to install a carbon monoxide detector. It sounds an alarm whenever unsafe levels of the gas develop in your home. It's important to test your device at least once every four weeks to ensure it is working. The device should beep when it needs new batteries, but testing it each month allows you to see if they are still working.

Ideally, you should place one of these detectors on each level of your floor. If your home has l-shaped areas, you might want to consider setting up more than one detector on the levels where they exist. At the very least, you should have a detector placed directly outside the bedroom areas.

2. Exercise Safe Practices with Items That Emit Carbon Monoxide

Some of the items that homeowners use regularly can emit carbon monoxide into the home. Follow these tips to prevent it from happening:

•  Never use charcoal or gas grills inside the home or near an open window or door.

•  Don't allow your motor vehicle to idle in an attached garage.

•  If you run a generator, keep it away from open windows and doors.

•  If you use a chimney, make sure that it is cleaned at least once a year.

•  Have your furnace inspected annually.

•  Unblock vents that become clogged by debris or snow.

3. Recognize the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Even though you cannot see, smell, or taste this gas, it is possible to recognize some of the symptoms associated with exposure to it. Before you lose consciousness, you might  experience one or more of the following symptoms:

•  Nausea

•  Headache

•  Fatigue

•  Dizziness

•  Shortness of breath

•  Loss of coordination

•  Vomiting

A buildup of carbon monoxide in your home can be deadly, so it is important to do whatever you can to prevent it from happening. Protect your family against this gas by setting up a carbon monoxide detector can warn you the gas exists, giving you time to get outside.




Disclaimer: Copyrighted Articles intended for Educational purposes only!

Page Issues: Adjust your Antivirus Software.

ProblemsSolutions | Products | Blog